Hopseidet is located between the Eidsfjord and the Hopsfjord. This narrow strip of land (isthmus) ties the Nordkyn peninsula to the mainland.
The area has been inhabited for thousands of years due to the abundance of game and fish.
In order to avoid the exposed sea route around the Nordkyn peninsula, German troops made an unsuccessful attempt to excavate a canal through Hopseidet during the Second World War. On May 6 1945, a mere two days before the end of the war, six unarmed civilian fishermen were shot and killed on the shores of the Hopsfjord by German marine soldiers. This incident is known as the Hopseid tragedy. The murders were investigated by Norwegian police after the German capitulation, but the case was dismissed due to insufficient evidence.
A memorial to commemorate the victims was erected after the war. This can be seen on the right hand side of the road towards Skjånes.
The Nordkyn Road (County road 888) runs from Hopseidet to Bekkarfjord, and was inaugurated by King Olav in 1989. During winter, the Nordkyn road is one of Norway’s most weather-exposed road stretches, with scheduled “convoy” driving behind a snowplough when the weather is poor.